Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Chicken Fingers with Apricot Dipping Sauce and Sweet Potatoe Fries


I will admit that I "hit the wall" this week and was not really in the mood to do much cooking. Last night I made the decision to give myself a break and eat dinner out with my husband. The meal was enjoyable but I did cheat and ate a dish with white pasta. The food tasted good on the way down but left me feeling completely bloated afterwards. After not eating any white pasta for over three weeks I really felt the difference. I did manage to fit in one new GI recipe though.

SERVED WITH: I tried out a recipe for chicken fingers with apricot dipping sauce and I paired it with another recipe for sweet potato fries. The dish was half decent and I would definitely make it again.

COOKING TIPS: It would have tasted much better if I had paid attention to the instructions ahead of time. I was not aware that the chicken has to marinate for one hour before cooking it. I was not willing to wait the hour and instead marinated the chicken for a mere 10 minutes. Because of this the dish was lacking a little bit of flavor. Instead of coating the chicken in breadcrumbs the recipe calls for toasted sesame seeds. The sesame seeds added a nice crunch and flavor. Since I couldn't find any toasted sesame seeds at the store (maybe they don't exist) I toasted them myself in the frying pan before using them. If you have never done it before, don't fear, it is quick and easy. Just pop them in a frying pan on medium and give them the occasional shake, you'll know they are done when they start to go brown. For detailed instructions click here.

The sweet potato fries were tasty but could have use some more seasoning in my opinion. They were coated in olive oil, chili powder and paprika. They had a slight kick but I enjoy sweet potato fries just as much when they are tossed with a little garlic, oregano and olive oil.

RATING: 6. But it only got a low rating because I didn't follow the instructions properly.

Tonight I am going to attempt to make a poached fish dish. Unless I am feeling completely exhausted and in need of another night off.

No comments:

Post a Comment