Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins - Sub in Wheat Free Flour and sub in Spelt Flour




This week I experimented with two different wheat free flours. I made two batches of chocolate zucchini muffins, one with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour and the other with Bob's Spelt Flour. If you take a look at the pictures above the muffin on the left is using the all purpose flour and the one on the right is using the spelt flour. Unfortunately spelt is a yellow light item on the GI diet.

Here are the results of my experiment.
- The gluten free all purpose flour created a fuller and fluffier muffin than the spelt flour.
- The texture of the spelt flour was smoother and more like whole wheat.
- You could tell that there was zucchini in the gluten free all purpose flour, where as with the spelt it blended right in.
- The gluten free flour had an unusual flavor, it seemed to taste slightly "tinny"
- The spelt flour cooked faster then when I made it with whole wheat flour (reduce the baking time by about 2 minutes)
- Both flours made a muffin that was a little too dry

COOKING TIPS: If you are experimenting with a recipe start by just replacing one item in the recipe at a time. See how it tastes and then make adjustments according to what you taste buds think. The next I try these out I think I will add a little extra zucchini to see if it helps with the moisture issue.

RATING: 7. If the muffins were a little bit more moist they would have gotten a better rating

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin, I have my chocolate zucchini muffins in the oven right now! (I was looking online for a link to the recipe to post on my blog, and found yours). I am just using plain whole wheat flour, subbing in wheat bran for oat. Hope your weight loss journey is going well. I have a little more to lose; the plan is 100 pounds in 1 year. If you like, follow my blog at ashlea.blog.ca and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ashlea that is amazing. Good luck with the journey. My goal was to lose 20 pounds in a year which worked out well for me as the weight has stayed off. I still continue to eat according to the gi diet, it is now a lifestyle for me. I could never go back to the way I used to eat before. Hope the muffins turn out tastey!

    ReplyDelete