Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cheesy Lentil and Bean Bake







This has got to be the healthiest meal I have ever made in my entire life. Two years ago I wouldn't have touched this recipe. It would have just looked like to much of a crazy health nut recipe to me. How times have changed, I am practically a crazy health nut now myself. And proud of it!

So what is in here that is so off the wall? Beans, lentils, and kale - all in one dish! I have never even tried kale and I was hugely surprised by the amount of flavor in this green leafy vegetable. It was so delicious that I am looking forward to the next time I get to slot it into my meal plan.

SERVED WITH: We at this all on its own but over some brown rice would have been lovely.

COOKING TIPS: This recipe calls for dried lentils. You could use canned lentils if you are in a rush but that increases the GI rating. When using the dried variety first soak the lentils in water for one hour, then simmer them on the stove for approximately 30 minutes. I know it is a lot of work but I usually spend a few hours in the kitchen anyways so I just prepare them while I am cooking other things and come back to them later.

RATING: 9. It is full of flavour and nutrition, how could you go wrong.

2 comments: