Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Homemade Jam - Less Sugar


So I found this recipe for making QUICK strawberry jam. This is jam that does not involve the complicated canning procedures of sterilizing jars and such but there is a catch. It only lasts about 9 days in the fridge, you can't keep in the pantry for an extended length of time like regular jam.

So because I am on the GI diet and always looking for ways of cutting back my sugar intake I have been playing around with this recipe a bit. I basically cut the amount of sugar in half to see if it would still taste good and still gel together like a jam should. And I am happy to report that yes it still worked out and yes it still tasted good.

I also experimented by using different types of berries. One week I just happened to have some blueberries and blackberries left over so I popped them in with the strawberries and came up with a yummy three berry jam.

If you are a fan of Splenda I am sure you could use that as a sugar substitute but as I mentioned in the past I prefer to use less sugar then play around with sugar substitutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment